You have, you know you have, you have definitely told yourself a little porkie to get yourself out of bed and out onto the trails on one of those days that you just don’t want to go. I do it all the time. I suspect I would not run at all if I didn’t have the comfort of deceit to carry me through the hard times.
Here are my top 11
- The first 20 minutes are the worst.
- What was that inspirational running quote again? That will make me feel better.
- I’ve only got 10km to go – that’s not far.
- Running in the hills is less tiring than running on the flat because you use different muscles to go up and down.
- It’s only a shower, it’ll pass.
- I look good in lycra.
- I know I haven’t done the training, but I’ll be fine.
- I like headwinds, they are extra training without extra miles.
- I may be slow but I am definitely not going to come last.
- My feet hurt, my legs hurt, my chest hurts, I’m panting like someone with advanced lung disease and sweating like a polar bear in a steam bath, at least it can’t get any worse.
- I’ve run 2km so I definitely deserve a slice of carrot cake, no, hold it, two slices.
If you liked the blog, check out my latest book…..